Skip to main content

Wireless Trackpad - iPod Touch Web App

As a bit of a break from all the work around here, I decided to work on a project I've wanted to try out for a while - turning an iPod into a trackpad (like the one on most laptops) for my computer. More specifically, a wireless trackpad so I can control the computer from across the room. While looking for an existing solution, I found an app for jailbroken iPods that seems to do exactly what I was looking for, but my iPod isn't jailbroken, so that was just teasing me. So, on Friday and Saturday in about 6-10 hours, I coded up a little proof of concept. This system only relies on the Safari web browser built into the ipod touch and some custom software on the computer.



Some technical details: The system uses an Apache webserver on the computer to serve the trackpad.htm file. That html page contains JavaScript that handles touches and movement on the iPod and sends that data via Ajax to the Java "backend" running on the computer. The Java backend interprets that data and converts it to mouse movements. I think it would be easier to set up and distribute if the Apache webserver wasn't necessary, so I may set up a very basic webserver in the backend to serve the single html page and accompanying javascript library for ajax.

Obviously a native iPod app would be nicer, but I'm not willing to pay $100 to develop on a closed platform just as a hobby. Donations are always welcome...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OpenSCAD Rendering Tricks, Part 3: Web viewer

This is my sixth post in a series about the  open source split-flap display  I’ve been designing in my free time. Check out a  video of the prototype . Posts in the series: Scripting KiCad Pcbnew exports Automated KiCad, OpenSCAD rendering using Travis CI Using UI automation to export KiCad schematics OpenSCAD Rendering Tricks, Part 1: Animated GIF OpenSCAD Rendering Tricks, Part 2: Laser Cutting OpenSCAD Rendering Tricks, Part 3: Web viewer One of my goals when building the split-flap display was to make sure it was easy to visualize the end product and look at the design in detail without having to download the full source or install any programs. It’s hard to get excited about a project you find online if you need to invest time and effort before you even know how it works or what it looks like. I’ve previously blogged about automatically exporting the schematics, PCB layout , and even an animated gif of the 3D model to make it easier to understand the project at a glanc

Using UI automation to export KiCad schematics

This is my third post in a series about the open source split-flap display I’ve been designing in my free time. I’ll hopefully write a bit more about the overall design process in the future, but for now wanted to start with some fairly technical posts about build automation on that project. Posts in the series: Scripting KiCad Pcbnew exports Automated KiCad, OpenSCAD rendering using Travis CI Using UI automation to export KiCad schematics OpenSCAD Rendering Tricks, Part 1: Animated GIF OpenSCAD Rendering Tricks, Part 2: Laser Cutting OpenSCAD Rendering Tricks, Part 3: Web viewer Since I’ve been designing the split-flap display as an open source project, I wanted to make sure that all of the different components were easily accessible and visible for someone new or just browsing the project. Today’s post continues the series on automatically rendering images to include in the project’s README, but this time we go beyond simple programmatic bindings to get what we want: the

Scripting KiCad Pcbnew exports

This is my first post in a series about the  open source split-flap display  I’ve been designing in my free time. Check out a  video of the prototype . Posts in the series: Scripting KiCad Pcbnew exports Automated KiCad, OpenSCAD rendering using Travis CI Using UI automation to export KiCad schematics OpenSCAD Rendering Tricks, Part 1: Animated GIF OpenSCAD Rendering Tricks, Part 2: Laser Cutting OpenSCAD Rendering Tricks, Part 3: Web viewer For the past few months I’ve been designing an open source split-flap display in my free time — the kind of retro electromechanical display that used to be in airports and train stations before LEDs and LCDs took over and makes that distinctive “tick tick tick tick” sound as the letters and numbers flip into place. I designed the electronics in KiCad, and one of the things I wanted to do was include a nice picture of the current state of the custom PCB design in the project’s README file. Of course, I could generate a snapshot of the